Priscilla Carney Jones Scholarship
The scholarship is a one-time award on the basis of both need and scholarship. The award amount is subject to available funding, but will be a minimum of $1,500. The award is sent directly to the recipient’s financial aid office and may be used for tuition, books, and lab fees. On-and-off campus housing, transportation, and other personal fees (e.g., sorority dues) may not be paid from this award.
To be considered a candidate, students must meet the following criteria:
- Rising junior or senior female undergraduate student
- Enrolled full-time at an accredited college or university
- Major in chemistry or chemistry-related science
Students in pre-med programs who intend to go to medical school are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Completed research or plan to conduct research during undergraduate years
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Able to demonstrate evidence of financial need
The current application deadline is May 1. All application materials must be received by this deadline.
In the online application process, the applicant will be required to provide/upload the following:
- Applicant statement to describe why the applicant is a good candidate to receive the scholarship
- Community service statement to describe the applicant’s community service activities and related responsibilities
- Leadership statement to describe the key leadership roles that the applicant has fulfilled
- Research presentations/publications list
- Research summary to summarize the specific nature of research (or planned research) and the applicant’s role in it
- Future goals statement to summarize applicant’s future plans and goals
- Resume / C.V.
- Copy of the most recent award letter from the applicant’s institution outlining all costs of attendance and itemizing any financial awards, scholarships, or grants the applicant receives
- A reference form from the applicant’s academic/research advisor, which includes a letter of recommendation.
- In addition, estimated unmet need for the next academic year must be indicated on the application form. Unmet financial need is equal to the cost of tuition, academic fees, and books minus the estimated family contribution and any scholarships/grants.